Monday, March 22, 2010

The Incident

I had finally decided to live the life of a seeker, seeking Christ and His beauty(Psalm 27:4)! God had me, I'm taken, He has ravished my heart. Things were only improving at the time, money was getting better and I was saving more of it. Got a brand new car, great apartment, great church, great family, growth was the word for the season. One night we had a youth get together at my brother's house, so I just spent the night with him, when I got home the next morning there was a business card on my door. When I first looked at it, it looked fake. It said Secret Service and the name on the front was scratched out along with the number and a new one was written on the back.
My mind was reeling, was this some sort of joke? So as I got ready for work I called the number on the back just to see what it was all about. Several things were flowing through my mind as I dialed the number, this could be about my oldest brother, who had been in a lot of trouble through out the years, perhaps it was one of those joke message services like "the rejection hot line" that would tell me that I wasn't cool enough to talk to. Then it began to ring...then another ring, it felt like hours were passing in between each ring and finally an answer. "Hello" the man said, "This is Agent Sean." So I explained who I was and that I had received a card with his name on the back of it. He said, "Yes, I left it there" wow he really was wanting to talk to me! He asked if we could meet up in the next hour and I told him that I was headed to work, but we could meet afterward. So we meet on the deck of the restaurant I was working at at the time and there it was, my past all in a nice little binder.
Flash backs of all the craziness and the parties and people, the horrible things I'd done. He had informed me that a friend of mine had been arrested along with my old roommate, both for wire fraud and they both pointed to me. The one said I was the mastermind behind a multi-million dollar operation. I was floored, I had put all this behind me and besides, they were involved much more than I was anyways. He asked for a statement, so I told him all that I could remember and they came over and searched my house and car. When they did that, they were convinced that I was no criminal mastermind! I asked what is going to happen to me, he told me that was up to the people in Miami since that is where I was living at the time of "the incident." I thanked him for coming out to my house, who thanks the Secret Service for searching their house? Me, that's who! Then they left and left me at my house, they didn't arrest me?!? I was totally confused!
I was a mess, what did this mean for me? People close to me told me that if they had really wanted me they would have taken me. So a little time passed, a week or two and nothing, then some more time and finally about eight months had passed. I was thinking everyone is right, if they had wanted me they would have already taken me. Besides I was no "major criminal" or anything like that, I made a mistake, who hasn't?
Just when all was normal, or as close to normal as could be, I got the call. It was a Friday afternoon, Agent Sean called to tell me that a FEDERAL WARRANT had been issued for my arrest and to stay in for the weekend and I could come to his office Monday and turn myself in... How was God going to save me from this one?

No comments:

Post a Comment